The Affordable Care Act (ACA)
is the new law that requires everyone to get health insurance.
There are some new health insurance choices starting in October, 2013.
Key Dates for the Health Insurance Marketplace
- October 1, 2013 Open Enrollment Starts
- January 1, 2014 Health Coverage can start
- March 31, 2014 Open Enrollment ends
What You’ll Need to Apply for Health Insurance
- Social Security Number (or document number for legal immigrants)
- Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (from pay stubs or W-2 forms – Wage and Tax Statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of you household
- A completed Employer Coverage Tool (see page 2) for every job-based plan you or someone in your household is eligible for
Open enrollment starts October 1, 2013 for coverage starting as early as January 1, 2014. Open enrollment ends March 31, 2014.
Double check any information that is confusing or sounds fishy. Visit HealthCare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325.